The Shears Foundation welcomes applications from registered charities who are working in one of our priority areas. These are currently:
- The development of culture and the arts.
- The development and provision of educational opportunities for adults and / or children.
- Protection, preservation or enhancement of the natural environment.
- Creating stronger / better / more sustainable communities.
- Promoting health and medicine, with an emphasis on research or education. We currently don't consider applications from Hospices.
We place a great deal of emphasis in supporting groups whose work is in the Tyne & Wear and Northumberland regions. Applications from charities working in these areas will be given priority. We are also developing our support for groups in North Yorkshire (including York), West Yorkshire (specifically Bradford & Keighley) and Greater Manchester. We do occasionally consider some applications from other regions and for International projects but these are much less likely to receive our support.
The Shears Foundation will support core costs, including staffing but will not contribute to capital projects.
If you have any questions, or need some help completing your application then please call Bruce on 07544 380316
Here are some useful tips for making your application.
- You need to be a registered charity to apply to the Shears Foundation.
- Please give us all the information that you can to help our trustees make a decision.
- Ensure that the financial section of your application is accurate and balances.
- Our trustees look more favourably on applications where your project is being funded from a range of sources.
- Our trustees are less favourable to applications where we are shown as the sole funder.
- Our trustees look more favourably on applications where you can show you are working collaboratively with other groups, organisations and charities.
- If you haven't had a grant from the Shears Foundation before, grant applications of less than £10,000 are more likely to be successful.
- At the moment, due to economic uncertainty and fluctuations in the markets that affect our investments, we can only give one year grants and not multiple year pledges.
- You can make an application at any time and this will be subject to an initial suitability check, some applications are rejected at this stage.
- Applications which make it through to the next stage are considered at the end of each quarter by our trustees.
Our Trustees consider applications on a quarterly basis
In order to be as equitable as possible to all applicants our trustees consider applications on a quarterly basis, with a fixed grant making budget each quarter. Our quarters run as follows:
- From 1st April to 30th June, with all applications received during this period considered in early July. Please note the application deadline for this quarter is 23rd June.
- From 1st July to 30th September, with all applications received during this period considered in early October. Please note the application deadline for this quarter is 23rd September.
- From 1st October to 31st December, with all applications received during this period considered in early January. Please note the application deadline for this quarter is 24th December.
- From 1st January to 31st March, with all applications received during this period considered in early April. Please note the application deadline for this quarter is 24th March.
Applicants will be informed if their grant application has been successful approximately five to six weeks after the deadline date.
To get started with your application please follow the get started link or click on the big red button on this page.
If you would like a copy of our full Grants Making Policy, this can be downloaded here.